Wednesday, February 23, 2011

'MERICA and THE SOUTH

America, I love where I come from. Some people though don’t love where they come from and I feel sorry for them. We live in truly a beautiful country. Yes everything isn’t always sunshines and rainbows, but I can say without a doubt our country is amazing. Many countries start wars and we are always there to help end them.

I know what you are thinking, Colton what a weird intro. I only write this because of the recent experiences I have had. Much of this trip is kind of like a vacation with school involved minorly. No I still do school work, but I am just taking in other cultures. In doing so I have come across some very interesting people. Sadly, not everyone likes america. I love the people who hate that english is the universal language of business. It is especially funny when the people who say it should thank their lucky stars they aren’t speaking German. However, I am learning to be more culturally accepting then I once was. Prior to being here I would have gotten very mad at some of the terrible comments people make about america. One, being because I would never ever say such things about their country.

I have learned to take a step back and to listen to why they think our country is so bad and out of line. 9 times out 10 they are not a good reason but every now an again you come across a well thought out argument. I often get called on in international management to talk about american perspectives and defended what we do as americans. I don’t mind it but when Jesse gets called on in class it is very easy to see one of us lives and breaths america and the does but to a lesser degree. We are different kinds of American’s. Our class doesn’t understand that Texas is way different the Massachusetts. I try to always make sure they understand that mine is a more southern perspective.

So off the intense convo because I definitely am not intense. Life is great in Aarhus. I went to Copenhagen last weekend and it was awesome. It was very very cold. It was nice to see the sun but it was about 13 degrees without windchill. It was so cold the saltwater was frozen! We walked for about 28 miles in all the entire trip. It wasn’t my best trip ever some crazy dumb things happened friday night that couldn’t have been controlled. Also, I got really sick saturday. I guess I caught what everyone else has now early. I still am a little sick but that is part of this cold weather. No one who is from warmer climates is handling this cold weather well.

Mucinex seems to be the wonder drug. It last 12 hours and makes you feel amazing. All this snow though you would think its cool but its not enough to be exciting. Part of me wants to have a snow ball fight with all of our friends then part of me doesn’t wanna go out in the cold. I enjoy the warmth of my room. Well, I have to say the vacation period of my trip is over and I have been working much harder on school. I don’t think the test will be that hard but there is still that degree of uncertainty. The truth is they like to say they are ridiculous and we’ll be lucky to pass and then others say its really easy. A lot of people don’t go to class so I could imagine that would make it hard to pass.

Maybe all the drinking they do here could make it hard to pass the exams. I honestly have never in my life had a professor tell me, “sorry that the slides are not right, I uploaded them drunk last night.” I started cracking up just because it was so honest and clearly evident. The only time something like that has happened is when Dr. Hoaas takes allergy medicine it makes him a little loopy and he will tell us ahead of time. I guess it just goes to show how much drinking is a huge part of this culture.

I am deeply sadden that i could not go to Carnival in Venice Italy. I planned on it but in the end the return flight was way to much money. They make you believe that there are deals on flights. There are deals on flight there just not returning. I guess I’ll have to save that one till I am older and on my own. Well I have typed enough. Peace out hopefully y’all are living it up in the south. I can’t wait to get home to southern living. Back home I felt like I had to much money, here I feel poor!

No comments:

Post a Comment