Monday, February 14, 2011

Is Chicago this windy?

Colton here! Just kidding only Zac would write that intro. Also, Zac took the liberty of telling you all about the geography of where exactly we are. So I have been here much longer then Zac, and it already feels like forever ago since I was home. I miss America but most of all I miss ranch dressing. Yes, I know ridiculous right? But in all seriousness you can’t get ranch dressing here. I am having some sent though so all is well. I find that hanging out with international students is better then hanging out with the Danes. No offense to the Danes I’m sure they are awesome, they tend to keep to themselves until they start to really party.

Everything here is different. I knew that coming here but had no clue how different. The prices of goods are a lot more expensive then they are in America. Also, I choose not to get a bike. I have gone on a bike adventure but I do not plan on doing that again. Aarhus is very hilly and I am sadly no Lance Armstrong. I however went and got a monthly bus pass. It was expensive but allows me to get where ever I need to, whenever I need to.

I am glad I got here two weeks before classes so I could party and get all the fun stuff out of my system before we started the lameness of school. I was lucky enough to go to the studenthus (student house) and be able to watch the Super Bowl. The only sad thing that the Danes didn’t realize was that they were missing the Super Bowl Commercials. They also were all Steelers fans..... I told them they were picking the wrong team but they didn’t seem to believe me until the end. The picture was great and being an American and standing during the National Anthem was an awesome feeling. The only not awesome feeling was waking up for class the next day. The game didn't start till 12:30am here and lasted until like 4:30 in the morning. Well it was worth it though to say that I did it.

We also went to a handball match recently. The match was interesting. Imagine a mix of soccer and basketball. It’s best just honestly to youtube some video’s on it so you understand. It was a cool experience but was a lot different then going to an American sporting event. Also, recently was the world championship of hand ball. The Danes were playing the French. It led to the French winning and all of our professors the next day making fun of all the French kids in our classes.

We are lucky to be accompanied by two other guys from America who we meet the first day we got here. One’s name is Brandon and he is a life long friend of my pledge brother Zac Farrar. He is a legit guy and other then Jesse someone I hang out with and go out with the most. We recently started working out together to try to get stronger and more in shape. The other guy Rob is cool to but is hard to get in contact with. They both go to Alabama and are Delta’s there. It’s awesome to meet other people as well such as Michael, a Peruvian guy who we often cook with in our building.

The best thing about making friends in your building or complex is sharing cooking duties. Recently, the danish girls on our floor and irish girl asked us to enjoy dinner last tuesday night. It was heaven! They made so much food and we sat and drank and conversed. They tried to teach us Danish but this is a very tough language to learn. It created some good laughs however. The only way I could see to repay them would be to make them Gumbo. After much searching and improvising I have finally found Okra. I hope it goes as good as it did last time. If so they will be in for a real southern treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment