Sunday, February 6, 2011

First Week!

Zac here!

I have just finished my first week in Denmark! What an adventure!

Where to begin? I live in Aarhus (Arhus), which is on the eastern coast of Denmark, along the Baltic Sea (an area of the ocean known as the Kattegat--between the Baltic and North Seas). It's cold and windy here, but no snow...yet. Very gray, though I'm told that when spring arrives it will be lovely!

From what little I've seen, Arhus is a very old, historic town. It was founded by the Vikings--there's several museums to them in town. There's an old cathedral from the Middle Ages, and in general the city has a strong sense of gravitas; it makes you realize just how young America is. Although there are plenty of cars, there are more bikes! There is a very high tax on cars and licenses here, so biking is common. Beside vehicle lanes there are separate bike lines, complete with their own stop lights, signs, etc. It's a bit intimidating, yet the bus is also costly, so eventually I hope to get a bike.

I had my first classes this week at Aarhus University (Colton and Jesse attend the related but not identical Aarhus School of Business). I'm taking primarily history courses--British, Irish and American History, Communism in Eastern Europe, and Globalization. The relationship between professor and student is much more relaxed here--you call them by their first names (weird!). The classes are in English--virtually everyone here speaks English. It makes everyday life much easier.

My dorm room is small, but cozy. I live on a hall with many other international students--Austria, Taiwan, Germany, Bulgaria, etc. My Danish mentor (assigned through AU) has been a wonderful help and has shown me around town. The university has many bars, and there are downtown clubs and cafes to visit. All of this makes for a constant and vibrant social scene--of which the Danes heartily take part.

I have every feeling that my stay here will be wonderful! Check back in soon!

-Zac (Aarhus, Denmark)

No comments:

Post a Comment