Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Life in Denmark!

It's been awhile since my last update, and this blog could use some more literate sentiments I think.

Aarhus seems a much smaller place now! I know my way around the important parts of town (the old downtown, the university, and the square nearest my apartment, Harald Jensens Plads) and am falling into a good weekly routine. The weather has been dismal, but in the last week or so the sun is coming out. I'm starting to believe the many people who've assured me of Denmark's beauty in the spring and summer. When the sun is out and your walking down a centuries-old street, it's hard not to have a spring in your step! On top of that, I've made a number of Danish friends whom I see regularly at the English Dept.'s Friday Bar (yes...every academic dept. has its own bar!). They have been warm, welcoming, and a blast to hang out with. I have found that the Danes, while quite reserved at first, open up quickly and are straightforward and kind.

My classes are quite interesting. I've signed up for my final exams--my grade in all three classes is completely dependent upon one final essay! Quite different from the constant midterms, short essays and presentations I'm used to! I'm taking British, Irish and American History and Society, The Troubles in Northern Ireland, and Eastern Europe under Communist Rule: 1945-1989. The perk to all of these courses is that they aren't available at Centenary, so in that sense these are unique academic experiences. You may be rolling your eyes at American History, but in fact it's been quite interesting taking a course on my nation's history from European perspective. The course is very conceptual, less facts and dates, so it gives me a foreign lens through which to view my own country. Much of the course has centered on discussions of what defines Americans. What does it mean to be an American? How does one become an American? Interesting questions all.

I would be remiss if I didn't discuss my traveling adventures/plans! Several weeks ago, I spent two days in Copenhagen, Denmark's capital city. I definitely felt as though I was in a European capital city. It was a great trip; I was able to see the highlights in two days perfectly, and everything was generally in walking distance. I saw the current royal palace and the changing of the guard at noon (quite a sight, complete with armed, regally-uniformed guards, a band, and an ostentatious drum major)! Rosenborg Slot, an old Danish palace that was essentially a small castle, was beautiful. The palace was filled with the original furnishings and decor of the 17th and 18th century Danish kings. The throne of Denmark was made of narwhal tusk (like ivory), and the jewels in several of the royal crowns made your jaw drop. Copenhagen is also home to Christiana, an alternative squatters' community famous/infamous for its liberal ideals, drug dealing (no hard drugs), and hippie-like vibe. It's a major tourist attraction, despite the marijuana (dealt openly on the main street--"Pusher Street"; naturally, pictures weren't allowed), and was fascinating. It felt like a hippie commune, with bright colors and murals, but also felt like a rough setting, filled with some hard looking faces and people. I also visited Nyhavn, a famous stretch of houses and shops along the main canal in Copenhagen. The canal is full with old wooden ships, and the houses that line the canal are every shade of color. It was beautiful. Also, I met the Little Mermaid! Denmark's most famous author, Hans Christian Anderson, wrote the Little Mermaid, and a statue of her sits near Copenhagen's harbor.

April will be a busy month for me! From April 2-5, I will be in Gdansk, Poland! Random, I know, but the roundtrip flight was incredibly cheap ($45) and combined with a hostel, the whole trip will be very inexpensive. April 18-23 I will be spending spring break in the Eternal City....ROME! Very excited about this trip! Not very cheap, but it's spring break, so it was worth it! I hope to visit Hamburg, Germany in the next few weekends...it's not too far away at all. In May, I hope to visit London and Oslo, at the very least.

To wind this post up, I must give myself props for learning some basic cooking techniques...okay, really just how to make a good pizza from scratch. Quite proud of myself! That's all for now, but I'll update you with future adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment