Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bi-Winning mixed with Friday = Two Times Tuesday

Wow, have I been lazy with this blogging responsibility. I can’t even remember where I left off. Oh well! Not much has changed in the life of Colton Robey, International Traveler. I only say that because I just returned from Barcelona. Let me just say that it is simply amazing. I would recommend adding it to you bucket list if it already isn’t.
Barcelona has whatever your heart desires. It has a great party scene, amazing sights, and awesome food. It was nice to finally get away from the freezing cold and be able to beach it up. Luckily, I had a friend studying abroad in Barcelona. She played tour guide and with the help of her friends got us into clubs. Word to the wise, If you don’t wanna pay 20EUR to get into a club, which who would. Then find attractive girls and go clubbing with them and watch the entrance fees disappear.
It is interesting though to note how nicely dressed Spanish people are when they hit the clubs. The bad part is one of the three Americans I was with didn’t bring something nice to wear. The end result was him not getting into the club and putting a minor damper on our nights out.
Another word to the wise, be aware of your surroundings when traveling and do your research. Barcelona, ranks highest in pick pockets. If you know this and know how to protect your stuff and aren’t an idiot you’ll be fine. However, it is something to be aware of.
The sights in Barcelona are amazing and we spent two days of the three just seeing sights. Park Guell is an amazing place! The most breathtaking place I have seen to date. I could try to explain it but you’re better off just google searching it. Another amazing sight is the Sagrada Familia. These two historic Barcelona attractions are both designed by the same architect and are world famous. I found it necessary to also travel to see where FC Barcelona played. The soccer stadium was amazing. However, due to the fact that we went there on Sunday we couldn’t go on a tour.
The cool thing is that while you can pay to see somethings. The best sights are free in Barcelona. You can pay to go on tours of certain things but we were on a budget economically and time wise. Well, that is about it for Barcelona.
I am feeling increasingly distant from America and my friends. Skype is an amazing technology but it doesn’t make the weather warmer, the sunshine (literally its always cloudy), or bring southern comfort food. The easy fix for this would be to make more Gumbo. Jesse has asked me to make my semi-famous gumbo. I still am not a pro at it like my Grandfather, but feel that soon I will master it.
We hope to invite some of our friends we’re studying with and maybe even Cow Cow. I doubt Cowsert will show up, but one can be hopeful. It should be a good bonding experience and an awesome time with friends. I know I will miss leaving all the cool people I meet. The bright side is I will have a reason now to go to Peru, Germany, Holland, Finland, Norway, and Barcelona.
Classes are the same old boring stuff that you would expect. I am confused on how hard/easy finals will be. I get mixed signals, and considering we don’t have any outside class work except reading I am finding myself bored sometimes here. I fill my time with outside business readings and other mind stimulating things.
My final schedule is looking well weird. I have two finals at the end of May and then two more at the end of June. I basically only have three finals because Aspects of Denmark is a paper. I know papers are my low point however, I already started aligning my thoughts. On top of the fact that the lady basically said as long as you don’t cheat you will pass. That is reassuring!
As for my LearnDansk class. Well, I got an email telling me that’ “because the other teachers are boring and students dropped, that we are being combined with two other classes.” I find this completely absurd! Our teacher is fun and exciting. Our attendance is relatively well but we have a bunch of masters students who have lots of night work. They still are attending a majority of the classes. I find it unfair that we now are being punished and given a crappy teacher who already proved himself inadequate. My plan was to count Danish as an elective of some such and not have as many senior year. Also, knowing Danish has come in handy every now and again.
I don’t know what to do. I guess I will just wait till tonight see how it goes and then make my choice on to continue or drop. To get credit I can only miss two classes and I have already missed one. I dunno but I’ll work that out later.
Well, I have typed a lot on random nonsense. Sorry, I didn’t tell any crazy stories in this one. I have a few but those are more PG-13. While still hilarious maybe best kept for the state side. As always in closing I’ll leave you with some thoughts.

EU Law is confusing, and having TAs who contradict each other is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.
I don’t know how people learn more then three languages. I found my self mixing Spanish, English, and Danish all together. More Spanglish but sometimes instead of saying No I’d say Nej.
The best quote I’ve heard to describe the differences in drinking alcohol between most European countries and America. “Europeans drink to feel something, Americans drink to not feel at all.” Sad but true.
In regards to the quote above. When Danes get drunk they go crazy. Case and point four guys tried to jump four bouncers at Thursdays club. Ya that didn’t end well for them.
Denmark has two winters, A white winter and a green winter.
Don’t take for granted the Caf. Yes, it tastes awful sometimes, and most people can cook better. Don’t forget that cooking means three things, buying groceries, cooking your meal, and then cleaning up after yourself. All of which takes a lot of time out of your day.
Spanish people know the rules, but often times don’t care to follow them.

Hav en god dag, Centenary. Hej-Hej

No comments:

Post a Comment